St Andrews – Across the Swilken Bridge
Quality print from an original painting by Richard Chorley
Signed Limited Edition of 600 – Image Size: 15″ x 22″
The St Andrews Golf Club was established by 11 local tradesmen on 29 September 1843 as the St Andrews Mechanics Golf Club.
In 1851 it was proposed by the then club captain, James Howie, that the club should change its name to St Andrews Golf Club or similar name. On 22 September 1853, the Fifeshire Journal reported that the Mechanics Golf Club had changed its name to the St Andrews Golf Club. In the second half of the 19th century the St Andrews Golf Club was the strongest golf club in Scotland, with members such as Allan Robertson, he is generally regarded as being the best golfer in Scotland from 1843 until his death. However he never had the chance to play in The Open Championship. When Robertson died, no one knew who the best golfer was, and so a tournament was born to determine the name of the champion golfer of the year.