Click on Image to view a larger version
Paper Size: 16 x 14 ins / 40 x 35 cm
Image Size: 12 x 10 ins / 30 x 24 cm
This is a depiction of Ascot Racecourse during Royal Ascot Week before the development of the new course early in the 21st century.
The first meeting at Ascot took place on 11 August 1711, at the suggestion of Queen Anne, who had spotted the area of open heath, not far from Windsor Castle, earlier that year. The queen thought that it looked an ideal place Ðfor horses to gallop at full stretchÓ. The inaugural event in 1711 was Her Majestys Plate, worth a hundred guineas, open to any horse over the age of 6.
The precise origin of the Royal Meeting is unclear, but the meeting as it is known today took place with the introduction of the Gold Cup in 1807. Royal Ascot was indeed the only race meeting held at Ascot until 1939. The Gold Cup itself is held on the third day of Royal Ascot, which is traditionally the busiest day of the week and which is also known as ÐLadies DayÓ.
Ascot Racecourse was closed in September 2004 for a major redevelopment and the new grandstand was opened by Her Majesty the Queen on 20 June 2006, on the first day of the Royal Meeting. The old buildings and enclosures of Royal Ascot are no more; this painting is a delightful reminder of the old days of the Royal Meeting.
Watermark does not appear on actual print